How to install an RV exterior shower

Well, we finally installed an exterior shower in the travel trailer.  With 4 kids we’ve had this on our list, be it at the bottom of our list, for a while now.  We kept putting it off until a recent don incident bumped it WAY up the list.

After our last trip I cam home and scoured Amazon for exterior showers and went completely based on ratings and whether it had Prime shipping.  I ended up ordering the Phoenix exterior shower (Amazon Associate link) and had it at the house in two days.  My initial impression is that it’s a cheap faucet in an OK enclosure…nothing special there.  One thing to note is this shower didn’t include any mounting hardware.

As for the install, it went about as expected.  Cut hole in siding, install enclosure, and connect to water lines.  Here’s a list of tools and supplies I used for the install.

  • Phoenix Exterior Shower
  • 1 1/4″ hex screws
  • Butyl tape
  • ProFlex RV sealant
  • 1/2″ faucet flex hose (2 of them)
  • 1/2″ Shark Bite Tee (2 of them)
  • 1/2″ PEX tubing
  • 1/2″ barb to 1/2″ thread PEX fitting (2 of them)
  • 1/2′ PEX crimps
  • PEX crimp tool
  • Tubing cutter
  • Pair of 7/8″ wrenches
  • Saber Saw with fine metal blade
  • Drill with hex bit and drill bit

To see how we installed the shower checkout the video below:

Now that we have the shower available I think we’ll be using it more than we can imagine.  There’s really no limit on the mess the kids have been able to make, so I think this is one of the additions that will really make life easier.

Day at the beach through a 7 year olds eyes

This is what you get when you let a 7 year old roam the beach with your GoPro camera.  I woke up early on our last camping trip and decided to look through the footage and was surprised with what I found.  For the most part it was violently shaking footage of him running around the beach, but there were a few gems in there that I needed to share (after some prodding by a certain 7 year old red head boy).
There’s not much I can say about it, so here you go:
 
Well, I hope you got a kick out of this one.  Now I need to go back an look at other footage the kids have shot to see what else is lying undiscovered.

Building a small RV – Rust removal and painting the frame

Today marks our first milestone in our travel trailer build project.  With the first coat of paint we’re now done our tear down and we’re officially starting to build it back up.  Checkout the below video to see our progress.

 

We started by cutting some unneeded steel from the frame.  This was the mount for the popup lift and a runner that the factory used to attach the sub-floor.  We won’t be using either, so they were removed to save a few pounds.

After the frame was cleaned up we attached a wire wheel to the grinder and went to town.  Being that the pop-up camper is 15 years old we had plenty of rust to attend to.

Once the rust was removed I applied Klean Strip Phosphoric Prep & Etch to the frame to take care of the rest of the rust and let it sit overnight.  In the morning I went back with a soap, water, and scrub brush to clean the entire frame.

The last thing we did was apply paint.  I used Rustoleum Rust Reformer as a base coat and then Rustoleum Satin Black on top of that.

With the frame cleaned and painted we’re ready to start laying out the floor plan and building on top of it.  Stay tuned for more up updates and don’t forget to check us out on YouTube.

Building a small RV – Popup Demolition: Part 2

After ignoring the popup camper for a few weeks, I finally had a free afternoon to finish up demolition.  My goal was to get it down to the bare frame and I wasn’t about to stop short of that.  Apparently I wasn’t ready to do any more than I planned for either.

This was more of the same as day 1 of our demolition.  Remove screws, hit stubborn things with a hammer, and get dirty.  At the end of the day we now have an empty frame that we can begin work on.

Checkout the below video to see the progress we made on day 2:

At this point we’ll begin cleanup of the frame/axle and laying out the floor plan.  I’m a graph paper addict, but I’ve been tossing around the idea of designing it in SketchUp Make.  I guess we’ll see how ambitious I’m feeling.