One side wall down and one to go. I finished the dinette side wall and started on the sofa side. We’re away for the weekend, but took off Monday and Tuesday to work on the trailer. I’m shooting to get the framing done, rafters repaired, and siding back on. Next up after that is the roof.
It was a long weekend, but I really got a lot accomplished. It felt like I spent most of my time going back and forth to Home Depot, but I got the floor joists fixed, section of floor replaced, and rear wall rebuilt.
I was able to get started on the side walls last night and after a long few days I finally made my first big mistake that will cost me some time. Rushing to get a few more studs in I cut an existing board 2 inches short which will require me to rething that whole wall.
Here are some photos of my progress so far.
It turns out the only thing holding the rear wall together was the siding. Once I removed the siding, the rear wall failed under the weight on the extended slide. I’ll start working on rebuilding the walls and repairing joists tomorrow. My ambitions of completing the roof on Sunday are unlikely.
Here are some photos of todays progress.
We spent the weekend at the beach and didn’t make any progress on the roof. The Dicor was delivered on Friday, so I have everything I need (other than time) to complete the project. I decided to order the Dicor from Amazon because it was available with Prime shipping and it actually arrived in one day instead of two. The weather is looking OK for the rest of the week so I’m hoping I can make some good progress.
I was hoping to spot repair the roof, but once I started digging I decided on a complete tear off. Last night I began at the rear of the trailer and will be moving forward. I’m working on this a few hours per day after work, so I’m expecting progress to be slow. In the pictures below you can see that there’s no wood left in the corners.
I didn’t get too much done this weekend. I was able to get the dinette removed and I’ll be using this as a template to make a new one. When I removed the dinette table base about 1/2 of the screws were rusted completely away. All of the vinyl floor has been removed in the dinette/kitchen area and it’s prepped for the floor replacement.
I made it out to Home Depot on Sunday and picked up all the wood for the roof, walls, and floor. I’ll be starting work on the roof tonight.
Over the past two days we’ve continued demolition. As I dig further into the trailer I’m quickly uncovering more problems. Below are the things I’m currently working through.
- I have the interior walls removed from the rear of the trailer. It looks like most of the read wall will need to be replaced. The side wall need a few feet of top and bottom plates replaced and a few studs.
- The underbelly was holding water in the insulation. I needed to remove the drenched insulation and waterproof barrier from 3/4 of the trailer. The plywood floor is seaked through from the rear of the trailer to the kitchen and will be replaced.
- I’ve pulled the ceiling out along the edges and three rafters will need to be replaced when I repair the ceiling. Today I received the Dicor adhesive and Eternabond. I’m hoping to start on the roof this weekend sometime.
I still need to get into the front bedroom. There’s water damage on one wall, but it appears to be from a leaking window. I’ll be pulling that wall panel and will replace a section of plywoon on the roof. The roof in the front is a littke soft, but nothing like the rear.
As I make progress I’ll continue to update the site. Sandie seems to think this will be a year long project and I expect to be camping in September. We’ll see who’s right.
I started picking away at the dinette area to see how bad the trailer is. The back half of the dinette needs to be rebuilt and the studs in the corners & base plate need to be replaced. Judging by what I felt on the roof, the other side will be as bad or a little worse.
I was able to get a look at the roof thought the ceiling and it’s what I expected. I ordered Dicor adhesive, lap sealant, and eternabond and should have the roof materials next week. I’ll keep picking away at the inside a little at a time while I wait. In the mean time, here’s a picture from today.
Day 2 seemed pretty unproductive in the way of getting on the road. For the most part we planned repairs & upgrades while figuring out controls. There’s a lot we still need to figure out and we have many minor repairs to make. Below are the major projects we’ll be starting immediately.
- Roof – All 4 corners are soft along with parts of the side. I’m going to attempt to pull the rubber back to fix since thats in fairly good shape.
- Interior walls – There are 3 ares that have water damage to the paneling. I’m pulling the bedroom & dinette areas to evaluate damage.
- Reseal all windows and slide.
It looks like rain over the next few days, so that’s going to delay the roof work. I’m going to remove the inside paneling tonight and plan to pull a section of floor so I can see any damage below. We’ll be starting with structural repairs and keeping water out.
On positive note, we did make the trek out to Camping World which was fun even though it cost us a few hundred dollars. By the kids reaction you’d think we were going to Disney.