This is my entry to Shogun Jimi’s skull challenge 2017. I was initially planning to go in a different direction, but decided at the last minute to make something for my youngest daughter. So here it is, a Monster High skill with an Alumilite resin bow!
I’ve been wanting a lathe for a while and all it took was for my family to leave me alone. Well, that, and for the lathe to be on clearance at Harbor Freight.
Now that I’ve used the lathe for a few weeks I’m impressed. It works well, is more solid than I expected (which isn’t saying much), and it let me get into wood turning very inexpensively. Like I said in the video, the tool rest lock is a bit flimsy. I’m expecting to rip it off at some point, but it hasn’t happened yet. No big loss if it happens, now that I know I enjoy wood turning I’d be OK with upgrading at some point. That being said I have nothing else to compare it to, but if I needed to drop $300 on a mini lathe I wouldn’t have given it a shot.
As for the $20 chisels, they’re better than I expected for $20. You get 8 chisels that somewhat hold an edge for almost nothing. You’ll need to give them a really good sharpening out of the box and you’ll need to touch them up often when working. In just a few weeks I’ve made a lot of pens, bottle stoppers, handles, etc. and if you keep them sharp they work well. The great thing is I was able to try 8 different chisels, decide what I really like, and upgrade them one or two chisels at a time.
If you’re interested in this lathe or chisels, the part #’s are below.
8 in. x 12 in. 1/3 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe: Item #95607
Wood Lathe Turning Tool Kit 8 Pc: Item #62674
So this project ended up clogging the garage for 2 weeks as we reworked the design a few times. We initially started out with the idea to make a shelf to display Damon’s RC truck to a steel and concrete behemoth. All said and done he now has a display that comes in around 100lbs and he LOVES it. When my wife asked why we were making it out of concrete instead of foam it was an easy answer…because it’s cool. Checkout the below video to see how we did it.
To complete this project we used:
- almost an entire 80lb bag of concrete
- 1/2 of a bed frame
- black pipe and caps for the legs
- Melamine to make the form
- a pile of rocks from the yard
- primer & paint for the frame
- Thompsons waterseal for the concrete
And to put it all together we used:
- a grinder with cutting wheels and flap disc
- miter saw with abrasive blade
- mig welder
- Bucket to mix concrete
- trowel to move concrete around